OUR ISSUE THIS MONTH IS DEDICATED TO THE WEDDING THEME, AND MISS OHLALA REFLECTS ON THE OPPOSITE OF MARRIAGE – SINGLE LIFE!
Many young girls dream of getting married in a big puffy white dress when they become grown women – but some of us just don’t. Some don’t even dream of getting married. And that’s absolutely fine. There is nothing wrong with pursuing your own interests and focusing on yourself. If meeting your soul mate along the way happens, great! And if not, you can still find fulfilment and happiness with yourself and all the loving people around you.
The truth is that women can be happy with themselves. A study done by the market research firm Mintel found out that 61% of single women say they are satisfied with their relationship status, compared to 49% of single men. And a further 75% of single women are not even actively looking for a partner, compared to 65% of single men. This means that women are single and loving it. Prince Charming can wait or not even show up.
However, if you are not too happy being single, here are ideas to improve your relationship with yourself:
- Spend time with yourself. Being single allows you to work on your relationship with yourself.
- Make your own choices and hold yourself accountable for those choices.
- Cultivate and prioritise nonromantic relationships, such as deepening solid friendships.
- Go after your hobbies and embrace them.
- Every relationship comes with a certain amount of compromise, but when you’re single, you get to call the shots.
- Make plans with other single friends.
Enjoy the journey that life is; your marital status is a tiny detail.