Bahrain’s Chef Juan of BMMI Alosra and Restaurants shares a distinctly Mediterranean dish perfect for a dinner party this summer. Enter the competition (details at the end) to win a private cooking lesson with Chef Juan and an Alosra supermarket gift voucher…
Beef Flamenquin stuffed with roasted bell red peppers with Cecina and Cabrales sauce
Serves 4 Portions
560g beef filet
400g red peppers
80g “Cabrales” cheese
150ml double cream
100g black olives
For The Garnish:
- Cut the onion julienne and roast with butter for 12 hours adding water and mixing it but don’t let it burn, only until it goes brown and soft. Reserve.
- Dry the previously sliced black olives at 80 degrees for one night.
- Dry the pistachios at 60 degrees to keep the colour for 20 hours, mince until you get a green powder (you may need to add some bread crumbs).
- Mix both powders.
For The Flamenquin:
- Cut the previously cleaned beef filet into thin slices, place the slices between two sheets of cling film and flatten with a hammer till you get a thin slice of meat. Reserve.
- Burn the red peppers straight into the flame till completely black and soft, keep it in a film till cold. Peel them and slice into stripes. Reserve.
- Cut the Cecina into thin slices.
- In the middle of each meat slice, allocate three slices of Cecina, six stripes of red pepper and roll it into a cylinder. Pass them through flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Reserve.
For The Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the double cream. When it boils add the Cabrales cheese till you get a thick sauce.
Finishing and Plating:
- Deep fry the beef flamenquin till gold in olive oil heated at 160c, cut each roll into 5 pieces, present in a plate topped with the sauce and garnished with a line of caramelized onions and a line of powders.
Social Media COMPETITION: Head to Ohlala Bahrain’s Facebook page to LIKE and SHARE this recipe post and get a chance to win a private cooking lesson with Chef Juan and an Alosra supermarket gift voucher!